Re: Unwanted warnings/errors on pedals for multiple voices

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Unwanted warnings/errors on pedals for multiple voices
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2020 18:01:44 +0000

From: Paolo Prete <address@hidden>
Date: Monday, April 6, 2020 at 11:25 AM
To: Carl Sorensen <address@hidden>

On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 6:17 PM Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:

To me, the ideal default is PianoStaff.

1) (another example) In a 4 hands piano score this would be undesirable, because it would logically assign the pedal to *one* performer, while it can switch from performer1 to performer2. For example: it would be nonsense that bars that are executed only by performer2 are given to performer1 for the pedal only.

2) The Staff context would be common for *all* the instruments that use a pedal, considering that *not all* have necessarily a pianostaff (for example: a vibraphone)

3) I never saw in my life a pedal bracket fragment in upper staff and another fragment in the lower one, but it can happen that a *new* pedal belongs to another staff than the previous one

4) In any case, IMHO there's no reason to assign Piano_pedal_performer to Voice. This seems abstract midi, with unwanted/weird results for the user

I’m fine if we have both the pedal performer and the pedal engraver at the Staff level

Best would be to move the engraver as deserved. How to move engravers
is documented already...
So I can't see any need to do anything.

But IMHO this is not user friendly. Lilypond's users do use a piano template, and  they should not care about these details, which are not included in the piano section of the documentation.

And not only the described unwanted behavior should not happen as default (see Timothy's observation about consistency):

before fixing the inconsistency in future releases, it should be at least documented with a workaround for avoiding it. Note that, without Timothy's addition, piano pedal bracket is correctly drawn but wrongly performed, which is highly misleading...

This is what I think.

It’s actually less effort to assign the performer by default to the Staff than to add a note in the documentation, so I think we should just fix the default assignment of the Piano_pedal_performer.  Both require a future release, but documenting a bug that has been fixed is a little strange, IMO.

We should get an issue on the bug list with a title like “Pedal_engraver_performer should be in Staff, not Voice”.  That will give people a place to look if they are struggling with the problem.

Carl