Re: Unwanted warnings/errors on pedals for multiple voices

From: Paolo Prete
Subject: Re: Unwanted warnings/errors on pedals for multiple voices
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2020 02:56:25 +0200

On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 1:46 AM Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Paolo,

> All this considered, IMHO (and considered that I really got crazy with this warnings for weeks):
>
> 1) The "Dynamics line" solution should be discouraged in the documentation. I can be wrong but I really don't understand in which cases it could be useful. And redundancy is always a disadvantage.

How else do you suggest keeping the pedal information [only] contained in its own context?

Thanks,
Kieren.

Hi Kieren,

I don't think it would be useful to assign a layer to the pedal information. It doesn't add any benefit in terms of visual clarity, it doesn't save space and it adds redundancy (which is hard to manage when the score becomes bigger and bigger). And I never saw a score in which there's a horizontal ideal line for dynamics: as well as pedals, they should be always near the notes they belong, otherwise they hare uncomfortable to  be associated to them. As said before, I can be easily wrong (then, I would be glad to see an example which shows me an advantage of this feature). At the current state of art, I suspect it is the result of a legacy easy- internal-tweak which doesn't add any practical improvement to the API. This can happen easily in any project, especially in *big* projects, and, commonly, this kind of functions are marked as *deprecated* before they are removed; otherwise they can add noise to the documentation and they can result overkill for users. I repeat and repeat: I can be wrong and I would be glad to see an opposite example.

Best,