Re: Unwanted warnings/errors on pedals for multiple voices

From: Paolo Prete
Subject: Re: Unwanted warnings/errors on pedals for multiple voices
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2020 02:21:19 +0200

Hi Kieren,

> I was simply using your code, and eliminating the spaces to make my point.

if you eliminate the spaces, then the example becomes the opposite of what it demonstrates. In order to align pedals, you don't have to look at that example, but you have to check the last one, which shows of to create groups of pedals.

> In order to align pedals at right and left, you could use a combination of after and before-linebreaking.

That is a lot of extra manual work to my eye. I’d prefer an automatic method.

sorry to insist but I think that an automatic method simply doesn't exist, and I explained why.
You can have a semi-automatic procedure by grouping pedals, but not an automatic procedure. And there's not an extra-work: you simply have to create a group of pedals and they are automatically aligned. I'll see to clean my code in the next days, for anyone who is interested.
But, anyway, I don't want to convince you. If you feel that your method is better, then use it. The main advantage of any editor is to leave freedom to the user (and Lilypond offers a big freedom)

That's all.

Best