Re: A request on behalf of Turkish Music

From: Hans Åberg
Subject: Re: A request on behalf of Turkish Music
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 22:02:20 +0200

> On 14 Apr 2020, at 19:27, Adam Good <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> ATTN: Hans...
> Going by the chart Emre shared with us, good news, I'm figuring this is not
> using a (near) Pythagorean tuning like AEU 53 ET. I'd call it 48 ET. Once we
> have the glyphs ready this is very easy to put together.

I think it actually can be E53, because Hormoz Farhat, “The Dastgah Concept of
Persian Music”, p. 12, mentions Aby-Nasr Farabi (10th century) and gives a
17-tone system of Ormavi using Pythagoreans minor seconds (limmas) and commas,
and also says that the “comma is close to an eighth of a tone”.

Farhat says that the scale of Ormavi has the following intervals, L = limma =
minor second, C = comma:
  L, L, C - L, L, C - L + L, L, C - L, L, C - L + L, L, C
He does not explain how to read this list, but I gather that C - L + L means th
intervals C, C - L, C + L form the preceding comma in the list.