Re: Lilypond requires Python2

From: Martin Neubauer
Subject: Re: Lilypond requires Python2
Date: Sat, 2 May 2020 17:41:49 +0200

On 02/05/2020 09:53, Jonas Hahnfeld wrote:
> The scripts and build system in 2.20 just don't work with Python 2. I
> was against applying the port in the past, and I stand by that opinion.
> I simply don't think it's feasible to apply the ~50 patches that were
> developed against master long after stable/2.20 was branched.
Thanks for giving your opinion so clearly. Each of the changes in
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=commit;h=bc8a3fa7e4f12bf5ac1eb0293bfab658d52c4ae8
did look fairly trivial by itself, but the number of files touched made
me very reluctant to just go about it.

> That said, the unstable series 2.21 is ready for Python 3. That's
> probably the better choice, even if it hasn't seen the same amount of
> testing.
Yesterday I finally submitted a patch bringing print/lilypond-devel to
2.21.1. It took quite a bit of reasoning to figure out why
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=commit;h=5a4039b700f3a7447401780c720070d14e2891bd
broke everyything openlilylib (and might cause other things to break in
a more subtle way.)

Using development branches for stable ports is somewhat frowned upon,
but would probably be tolerated as a temporary measure if justified
properly. But I don't think that's the right step at the moment.

> And thanks for sharing the deadline end of this year - in that
> case it would be a good idea to at least get to the release candidate
> stage for 2.22 by then. Probably GNU/Linux distributions will follow a
> similar path after all...
That would indeed resolve the whole issue.

Thanks,
Martin

--
The only folks doing really interesting stuff on Windows are the DRM
folks and the virus writers.