Re: Stanzas with different rhythms

From: Fr. Samuel Springuel
Subject: Re: Stanzas with different rhythms
Date: Mon, 4 May 2020 13:07:08 -0400

> On 4 May, 2020, at 12:45 PM, David Wright <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Well, in a sense, you haven't managed to localise the complications
> because the lyrics are stuffed with redundant associatedVoices when
> reused elsewhere.

Very true.  Getting the separation I want is still very much a work in progress.

> Where the differences are this minor (same syllable count, and
> mixed music that's easily distiguished), I would put all the
> complication where it's unavoidable: in the notes.
>
> From your example's "music" variable, I would derive two simple
> versions, musicA and musicIII, each for one rhythm. The words
> would contain no specific indications, but set with NullVoice
> to the appropriate music.
>
> Of course, you can break up the music into several variables
> from which you assemble the different versions, in order to
> localise the variation and make it easier to maintain.

Now that’s an idea I hadn’t thought of.  I just got a basic edition-engraver
example working (see attached), but I’ll try this method out too and see which
I like better.

Fr. Samuel, OSB
(R. Padraic Springuel)
St. Anselm’s Abbey