Re: Suggestion to make sharps and flats persistent

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Suggestion to make sharps and flats persistent
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 18:53:00 -0400

Hi Elaine,

> Use of \relative is always fine if you realize that you need to explicitly
> define it every time you break it up.

If you have any desire to reuse small bits, that means you need to have dozens
(maybe hundreds?) of pre-defined bits.
I can’t imagine wanting to go through that effort, when absolute mode is so
easy to use (especially with MIDI input).

> If G# is in your key signature, and you are using "g" to represent G#, then
> how do you represent G natural?  gn?  Sure, there could be some syntax for
> it.

g+ raises the "keyed" version, g- lowers it?  ;)

> Personally, I don't see the benefit.  With more complicated and transposing
> music, remembering when I need to say gs vs g  or g vs gn would become
> annoying quickly.

+1^1000000
(and, yes, I understand the mathematical irony there LOL)

Cheers,
Kieren.