Re: Suggestion to make sharps and flats persistent

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Suggestion to make sharps and flats persistent
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 17:04:39 +0200

> Hi David,
>
>> But minor-mode music is often a conglomeration of the "forms" of the
>> minor scale which makes them of limited separate utility.  Nothing is
>> in "harmonic minor."  Notating something in minor by J. S. Bach could
>> be terrifying.
>
> Oh, I totally agree with "terrifying" (and, in my opinion, unhelpful).  =)
> I’m just pointing out that it’s not difficult to figure out how to
> make it work for people who don’t mind living in terror.

They come back to haunt you.  Try removing some functionality when it
becomes clear that it is broken by design and cannot possibly do what
its hand-waving definition and implementation calls for, and receive all
the flak for it.

I had to fix repeat chords (which were not amenable to work under
\relative or \transposition), nested property overrides (which were not
designed to be able to distinguish overriding an encompassing alist from
overriding a subproperty), embedded scheme code (which would not allow
for closures and had weird syntax for admitting variables) and a few
other things that had gained popularity while being inherently broken
and in requirement of much more complex implementations.

All because people think "it's not difficult to figure out how to make
it work" when actually it is once you aim for more than a "mostly
working" determination and keep shuffling around just which 10% you are
willing to let fall apart.

--
David Kastrup