Re: Mac OS X Catalina 64-bit compile ?

From: Hans Åberg
Subject: Re: Mac OS X Catalina 64-bit compile ?
Date: Sat, 30 May 2020 10:27:34 +0200

> On 30 May 2020, at 10:14, Mats Behre <mb.maillists@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 2020-05-29 20:18, Hans Åberg wrote:
>> For an editor app, Frescobaldi is much better, and it runs lilypond
>> externally, and for 2.21, there is the installer that I just posted about
>> [1], which does not require MacPorts, or the MacPorts one itself, or
>> possibly, traditional package chasing.
>>
>> 1. https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2020-05/msg00536.html
>>
> The editor part at least I can do without, but I think you missed an
> important part of the OP:s request - he does not want an installer (and
> neither do I).

Not really, you would probably have to compile it yourself.

> The Lilypond.app available through the other link can be just copied to an
> arbitrary location, and the Lilypond program itself used as in earlier
> versions.

That is no longer true on MacOS 10.15, as the OS itself runs in a dedicated
read only space, and you can only put it certain locations. The directory
/Applications/ is for native MacOS applications, and for example /opt/ is for
Unix applications, and /usr/local/ for source compiled applications.