Re: Mac OS X Catalina 64-bit compile ?

From: Mats Behre
Subject: Re: Mac OS X Catalina 64-bit compile ?
Date: Sat, 30 May 2020 11:15:21 +0200

On 2020-05-30 10:27, Hans Åberg wrote:

On 30 May 2020, at 10:14, Mats Behre <mb.maillists@gmail.com> wrote:

On 2020-05-29 20:18, Hans Åberg wrote:
For an editor app, Frescobaldi is much better, and it runs lilypond externally,
and for 2.21, there is the installer that I just posted about [1], which does
not require MacPorts, or the MacPorts one itself, or possibly, traditional
package chasing.

1. https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2020-05/msg00536.html

The editor part at least I can do without, but I think you missed an important
part of the OP:s request - he does not want an installer (and neither do I).

Not really, you would probably have to compile it yourself.

As I said, I downloaded it from the marnen link ...

The Lilypond.app available through the other link can be just copied to an
arbitrary location, and the Lilypond program itself used as in earlier versions.

That is no longer true on MacOS 10.15, as the OS itself runs in a dedicated
read only space, and you can only put it certain locations. The directory
/Applications/ is for native MacOS applications, and for example /opt/ is for
Unix applications, and /usr/local/ for source compiled applications.

That's the recommended locations (I assume you have them correctly), but there
is nothing that prevents you from putting things elsewhere. Perhaps using an
installer (or putting lilypond in /opt) prevents the need to explicitly
allowing the application to run, but as you can see from below I can run it
from e.g. Downloads. (But you're correct that the OS location is read-only,
even if I'm sure that you can find ways around that too - but you really don't
want to!)

~/Downloads/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/lilypond -v
GNU LilyPond 2.20.0

Copyright (c) 1996--2015 by
  Han-Wen Nienhuys <hanwen@xs4all.nl>
  Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org>
  and others.

This program is free software.  It is covered by the GNU General Public
License and you are welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it
under certain conditions.  Invoke as `lilypond --warranty' for more
information.