Re: Orchestral strings, how to organise score and parts for divisi, solo

From: Lib Lists
Subject: Re: Orchestral strings, how to organise score and parts for divisi, solos, desks etc.
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2020 12:33:18 +0300

On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 at 22:16, Rutger Hofman <rutger@cs.vu.nl> wrote:

> I am thinking of sharing my experiences as a user in this field by
> contributing a tutorial or a practical experiences story (or whatever)
> on this topic. It would make a distinction between:
>
> 1) temporary staves
> 2) divisi allocation over groups of staves
>
> since these are different concepts, and they are handled differently by
> the Lilypond user, although both depend on keepAliveInterfaces.
>
> And I could contribute a bit on techniques to have >2 voices per staff,
> rhythmically homophonic or rhythmically polyphonic, especially in the
> context of divisi staves.
>
> What would be the best venue for this? Lilypond docs? User list? Scores
> of Beauty? If it gets into the Lilypond docs, it is there to "stay
> forever" which would be nice.
>
> One elaborate example of my experiences is found in the score and parts
> of "3 Bruchstücke aus Wozzeck" by Alban Berg, see
> https://imslp.org/wiki/Wozzeck%2C_Op.7_(Berg%2C_Alban) (travel to the
> tab [Arrangements and Transcriptions]). One can have a look at e.g. the
> Violins I part, mvt. 1, Bars 396-404; there is a 5-fold divisi which is
> folded into one staff in the full score. Or practically any instrument
> group, for that matter.
>
> Rutger

Hi, that would be awesome, and thank you so much for sharing the code
for Wozzeck, that's exactly what I was looking for. I've been trying
to find my way out for days, and even though I'm making steps in the
good direction, it's not an easy job. A commented example on how to
organise a modern large orchestral score and parts with divisi, desks,
solos, temporary staves, and so on would be extremely useful, at least
for me. I couldn't find such an example in the otherwise awesome
documentation, and I was thinking to contribute myself once I'll be
more familiar.
Thank you!

Lib