Re: Adding metronome click track to MIDI

From: Matt Wallis
Subject: Re: Adding metronome click track to MIDI
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2020 08:24:38 +0100

On 03/06/2020 15:55, Francesco Petrogalli wrote:
Hi all,

I need to add  a metronome click sound to the MIDI generated with
lilypond, to allow people sync up a record-from-home session. A quick
web search didn't bring up anything that I could have used. Is there a
special midi instrument I could use for that?

Hi Francesco,

The solution I use for click tracks uses this:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2019-12/msg00346.html

That will give you a definition of clickTrackForMusic. All you need to do then is to provide the time signature and the music.

When I use it I do this:

-----

clickPart = \clickTrackForMusic \timeSignature \music

% Click track:
clickStaff = \new DrumStaff = "click" {
  \set DrumStaff.instrumentName = #"Click "
  \clickPart
}

-----

It automatically adjusts the length of the click track to the length of the music, but does not handle changes of time signature or tempo.

Matt