Possible Feature Request?

From: Fr. Samuel Springuel
Subject: Possible Feature Request?
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2020 11:06:12 -0400

Right now we have ly:source-files which contains a list of all input files
which have been opened up to the point of it’s call, but there is, so far as I
can tell, no equivalent for output files.  How difficult would it be to add
such a scheme function/list?

As I see it, LilyPond obviously knows the name of each file it writes to at the
time of the write operation (regardless of the kind of file it’s writing), so
it ought to be possible to simply have it store said name in a list (perhaps
with a check to make sure it’s unique if LilyPond writes to the same file
multiple times) either just before or just after the write operation.
Temporary/intermediate files would not need to be added to the list (if
LilyPond knows they are temporary/intermediate at the time of the write) or
could be removed from the list as part of the clean-up operations that remove
the files themselves.

Of course I’m entirely speculating without having examined the source to look
for the various write operations.  Could one of the developers with more
knowledge of the source be so kind as to reality-check this idea?

Fr. Samuel, OSB
(R. Padraic Springuel)
St. Anselm’s Abbey
4501 South Dakota Ave, NE