Better support for Bravura in LilyPond

From: Daniel Benjamin Miller
Subject: Better support for Bravura in LilyPond
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2020 01:05:41 -0400

I'd like to share something: https://github.com/dbenjaminmiller/bmusicfonts

I personally prefer the Bravura design to Emmentaler/Feta, and there'd been some SMuFL support offered in the past (which was highly buggy and not really usable for professional scores in a few ways), as well as Profondo, a conversion of a pre-release version of Bravura into LilyPond's native font format (which also had some issues with dot placement). After much experimentation, I created some fonts and includeable files which allow for high-quality typesetting using Bravura. The SMuFL font is loaded for some stencils, and others come from a native LilyPond-format font (which is itself usable, though results will be better with the definitions file loaded).

Not all features of Bravura are currently supported (e.g., you can't use the built-in stylistic alternatives). Likely, that won't happen until SMuFL support comes to LilyPond (it's currently being worked on, I believe). But the output should already be pretty nice. It is for me (n.b., I use LilyPond principally at 17.82 size).

Note that this isn't a generalizeable method for all SMuFL fonts: the definitions file includes many specific tweaks for Bravura, which are easy to adapt, but the BMusicFont had to be put together largely manually, and this process is quite involved. I have little interest in adapting a second music font myself, but hopefully this work is useful to you.