Re: Pedal cautionary after a line break (current status and improvements

From: David Rogers
Subject: Re: Pedal cautionary after a line break (current status and improvements)
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2020 00:03:16 -0700

"Mark Stephen Mrotek" <carsonmark@ca.rr.com> writes:

Paolo,

A quick examination of pieces in my collection showed that the
following editions did not use brackets for the pedal, rather Ped. *
was used.

Paragon, Fryderyka Chopin Institute, Breitkopf & Hartel, and Edwin F.
Kalmus.

Unfortunately for the current discussion, these are (by Lilypond's own standards) some of the truly run-of-the-mill publishers, if they manage to achieve even that standard. That edition of Chopin does carry the name of a former celebrity on the cover, it's true; he may have been an excellent man (I can't say), but his music-publishing efforts were second-rate at best. (It's clear he was only lending his name for the celebrity cachet anyway; all the PWM Chopin books have the decency to name the real editors at least, and Paderewski wasn't among them.) Bad editing, bad printing, substandard paper, brittle glue that only holds the book together long enough to get it home... well, you can't say they were inconsistent. :)

I guess my position as a pianist is that while Paolo seems to be mistaken about software politics, musically he's correct. There's no musical justification for claiming that Lilypond's sloppy and inconsistent handling of piano pedalling is acceptable. (There's also no social/political justification for claiming that that fact obliges any particular person or group to fix it at any particular time.)

--
David Rogers