Re: ties between voices

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: ties between voices
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2020 22:40:28 +0200

Sorry, forgot the list...

Lukas-Fabian Moser <lfm@gmx.de> schrieb am Mo., 29. Juni 2020, 22:08:
Hi David,

I can't figure out how to get the tie between the G's, without breaking
the double stops in the first measure into two separate voices, and so
breaking their stems.  Can someone show me how to do this?

\version "2.20"

\relative {
  \key g \major
  \omit Staff.TimeSignature
  \voices "",2 << { g f) } \\ a,2 >> c4( d)

grafik.png

It may be debatable whether it should be notated this way.  I think it
should.  (It's from the Glière cello duos, op. 53.)  But my question is
how to do it, assuming this is desired result.

No, I'd say this is a perfectly standard way of notating music for instruments that _can_  do polyphony. Piano pieces (e.g. by Schumann) are full of examples like these, and one might say that this is not the area where LilyPond particularly shines: It often involves trickery with hidden duplicated notes etc. But in this case, it works relatively straightforward.

If it matters, I'm using version 2.20.

The command \voices I am using above was added by David Kastrup during the 2.19.xx cylce. It's also possible to avoid it using 2.18.2 constructs: you only have to refrain from using the \\ shortcut (because this creates named voices and makes it impossible to continue the main voice):

\version "2.18.2"

\relative {
  \key g \major
  \omit Staff.TimeSignature
  << { g f) } \new Voice { \voiceTwo a,2 } >> c4( d)
}

Lukas