Re: How to submit improved LSR entry?

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: How to submit improved LSR entry?
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2020 23:59:32 +0200

Am Sa., 20. Juni 2020 um 17:18 Uhr schrieb Ralph Palmer
<palmer.r.violin@gmail.com>:

> On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 6:28 AM Karlin High <karlinhigh@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 6/20/2020 7:37 AM, Thomas Morley wrote:
>> > I'd say we need more people for LSR-work.
>> >
>> > Furthermore, some time ago I started to upgrade LSR to 2.20, but had
>> > to stop this work as well.
>> > No idea, when I'm able to continue...
>>
>> Can the work be described in step-by-step instructions? If so, it could
>> be a good fit for crowd-sourcing.
>> --
>> Karlin High
>> Missouri, USA
>>

> I have limited time, but would be willing to help, if the upgrade and/or
> general LSR work can be done in small batches.
>
> All the best,
>
> Ralph
>
> --
> Ralph Palmer
> Brattleboro, VT
> USA
> (he, him, his)
> palmer.r.violin@gmail.com

Hi Ralph, hi Karlin,

sorry for the late reply. At least summer break started today !!

Basically updating the LSR is done like:

(1) Download LSR, apply convert-ly and try to compile all snippets
with most recent stable, i.e. 2.20.0
(2) Find problems and fix them
(3) Work together with LSR-admin: he will update LSR to use current
stable, negotiate how the updated snippets will reinserted.
(4) Where possible insert snippets from Documentation/snippets/new
into updated LSR

The whole process is explained more detailed in
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/contributor-big-page#updating-the-lsr-to-a-new-version

(2) and (4) can be done snippet by snippet
At any rate, I don't expect much work with (2). Earlier this year
Werner did a lot clean up and before I had to stop I cleared most (but
not all) other problems. I posted about those remaining ones, perhaps
I can find the links again...
Ofcourse some more snippets arrived in the meantime...

I'll have a look later this week.

Thanks,
  Harm