Re: ties between voices

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: ties between voices
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2020 10:43:32 +0200

Hi Carl,
I think you misunderstood.  The \voices command does not let slurs go across voices.  Rather, it allows existing voices to go into the << \\ >> polyphony expression.

Previously (and still, if you don't use the \voices command), << \\ >> created two temporary voices, neither one related to the voice containing the << \\ >> construct.  With the \voices command (strictly speaking it's a music function, IIUC), the voices within the << \\ >> construct can be specified, such that the slurs/ties/etc. go between entities in the same voice, rather than trying to go between entities in different voices.

It might be worth pointing out that it has always been possible to let existing voices continue into a polyphonic section by working without the double backslash \\.

So, you can always write

\fixed c' {
  <g e> << { \voiceOne f8) b~ } \new Voice { \voiceTwo d4 } >> <g, b>4 <c c'>
}

at the price of having to state \voiceOne etc. manually.

Of course you know this, but it's my impression that beginners often are not aware that it's possible to use << >> (inside a staff) without \\, so I thought I'd mention it.

(Of course, the tricky part begins as soon as _both_ voices of a << >> construct are to be "connected" via ties/slurs to the surrounding homophonic music, but that doesn't change with \voices either.)

Lukas