Re: Naming question: \function

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Naming question: \function
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2020 12:21:37 +0200

Hi Lukas,

Am Donnerstag, den 09.07.2020, 10:08 +0200 schrieb Lukas-Fabian Moser:

But seriously, do you have a suggestion what to do when the "item" the
command is referencing *is* a function?

Another good synonym for "function", especially if you passing it as an argument, is "callback"

I think there's a misunderstanding here that is worth pointing out.

The "functions" Urs is working on are not functions in the computer science sense (and neither in the mathematical sense, although some theorists disagree). It's about "harmonic functions" in the sense of a certain theory of harmony that is common especially in German-speaking countries.[1]

Which is one more argument for *not* naming the command \function.

Thank you for the following explanations which should make it clear for everyone what we are talking about.

I have the impression I have no choice but to follow Carl's suggestion and add a clarifying adjective, although that makes for  quite "expansive" user interface. E.g. \harmonicFunction might be the best bet so far.

The next question would be how to name the corresponding commands in the other planned modules (roman numerals analysis and "Bassstufen", another system obviously tied to German-speaking music theory - I didn't even find an English reference on Google. It is a system originally devised by E.A. Förster around 1800 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emanuel_Aloys_F%C3%B6rster) and heavily built upon in certain very influential streams of German music theory since about 2000.)

I think "Bassstufe" could be translated to "scale step" or "scale degree" and could therefore be used as a command like \scaleDegree. However, people having written roman numeral analysis code (I know of David Nalesnik and Malte Meyn so far) used \scaleDegree for the roman numerals.

Maybe this set?
  • \harmonicFunction
  • \romanNumeral
  • \bassStufe

The latter would handle the fact that it's used in German contexts only anyway. And it would nicely deal with the triple "s" ;-)

However, since we're still in a computing environment I'm afraid the reference to roman numerals might be similarly problematic as "function". What do you think?

Best
Urs

General idea

In that theory, some of the chords usually denoted by Roman numerals have special namens and symbols (now called "Funktionen" = functions): I is "T" (for "tonic"), IV is "S" (for "subdominant"), V is "D" (for "dominant"). But the more important half of the story is that in this theory, these three "functions" are the _only_  basic chords, from which all other chords are derived in some way. For instance, a vii° is regarded as a D⁷ with root omitted, a ii⁶ is (most often) interpreted as a S with its fifth replaced by a sixth, and so on.

The term "function" can, I think, be interpreted in two different ways here:
- In the mathematical sense that these functions map from the set of key areas to the set of actual chords ("dominant(f major) = c major-triad") [but this applies for roman numerals as well!]
- In the musical sense that chords tend to express a "function" for the harmonic progression of a piece: tonic chords have the function of "being at home", so to speak, while dominant chords express the function of "being only one step away from home", and so on.

Strenghts and weaknesses

As can be expected, a theory with such a strong focus on harmonic interpretation of chords has its strengths and weaknesses.

For an example of what I consider a strengh, if you compare cadence formulas ii⁶ V I and IV V I, it can be argued that it might make more sense to "hear" the ii⁶ as a "kind of major" chord since the major third f-a is the same in both progressions. "German" function theory caters for this by writing S⁶.

For examples of what I consider as weaknesses:

- While a vii°⁶ quite often has the "function" of "wanting to resolve to a tonic", it's highly awkward to explain it as a "dominant seven with root omitted". First, from a historical perspective, V and vii°⁶ both occur much earlier than an actual V⁷, so the theory explains an old and well-known phenomenon from (at the latest) early baroque music as being derived from something basically unknown at that point in time. Second, from the point of view of classical voice-leading, the seventh of a V⁷ has restrictions for its voice leading (the rule of moving downwards by a step, for instance) that are completely unknown for the same note as part of a vii°6. (And let's not forget that even the standard designation of vii°⁶ in roman numeral analysis has the flaw of explaining a very old "primary" phenomenon as being the first inversion of another phenomenon virtually unknown at that time.)

- A mediant iii (in a major key context) has to be explained either as a relative of V or as leading-tone exchange chord of I (the corresponding German function theory symbols are "Dp = Dominantparallele" and "Tg = Tonikagegenklang"), but more often than not, if a iii actually occurs somewhere, it gets its peculiar and interesting sonic quality from being in some sense "neither tonic nor dominant".

Where is this used?

In German-speaking countries, some very popular (mid-20th-century) textbooks made this "Funktionstheorie" standard - to such a degree that "harmonic analysis of music" was considered equivalent to "using the theory of functions" (and this notion can still be found up until today sometimes).

For other countries, the situation is different: As far as I can see, in English-speaking countries, it seems to be standard to use roman numerals (which itself comes in different flavors, just think of ii⁶ vs. IIb!). But in my teaching (at an Austrian music university with lots of international students), I always ask my students about the harmonic theories they have learned in their native countries; my impression is that in eastern-european, northern-european and far-asian countries, there are harmonic theories being used the are to a certain degree a mixture between "German" function theory and "international" Roman Numeral analysis. (A Chinese student once explained to me that he had learned to write something like S-ii-56, which means: function theory, roman numerals, thoroughbass, all in one.)

Lukas

[1] This theory was basically invented by 19th century musicologist Hugo Riemann, but has been simplfied and streamlined very much during the first half of the 20th century. Funnily, the word "theory of functions" also appears in the mathematical field of complex analysis, with one of its most important contributors being Bernhard Riemann. The two Riemanns are not related (as far as I know), and the theories are completely unrelated. :-)