[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Problem installing docs

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Re: Problem installing docs
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2020 18:00:40 +0100

On Sat, 2020-07-11 at 11:00 +0200, Federico Bruni wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jul, 2020 at 17:23, David Sumbler <>
> wrote:
> > I downloaded Lilypond version 2.21.2 today.  When I ran the script 
> > with
> > the --doc option, Lilypond installs but the docs can't be
> > downloaded.
> > 
> > I also tried with version 2.20.1, with the same result.
> > 
> > I get the following output:
> > 
> > No ./Downloads/lilypond-2.21.2-1.documentation.tar.bz2 found, 
> > downloading.
> > --2020-07-10 17:15:04--  
> >
> > Resolving (
> > Connecting to (||:80... 
> > connected.
> > HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
> > 2020-07-10 17:15:04 ERROR 404: Not Found.
> > 
> > Is this a temporary problem with the server, or is there something 
> > else I should know or do?
> > 
> Hi David
> I've just tried and it works.
> Perhaps it was a temporary server error.
> Do you know that you can use the --doc switch only when your working 
> directory is the same as the directory where the install script is 
> saved?
> Well, at least 6 years ago.. I haven't tried it recently.

You hit the nail on the head!  Yes, I fell foul of this bug.

If I cd into the directory where the script is, then the documentation
downloads as expected.  But if my working directory is elsewhere and I
give a path to the script in my command line, then it fails.

In more detail, calling the script from its own directory with
        ./ --doc
causes the script to download the documentation from

Whereas calling the script with, say,
        Downloads/ --doc
makes the script attempt to download from

This arises from the use of the variable $me in the script set to the
value of $0, which contains the full path of the script as called.  But
only the basename is required to extract the name of the Lilypond

I have tried to modify the script to get around this but without
success.  It could be done either by creating a new variable containing
just the basename, or by modifying the 'sed' line (line 293) which
extracts the Lilypond version's name.

I am pretty sure, however, that my failure is merely a result of my
poor scripting abilities, rather than any inherent difficulty.  I'm
sure that somebody competent could modify the script and lose the bug
in about 5 minutes!


reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]