Re: Naming RFC: Properties, property sets, presets

From: Flaming Hakama by Elaine
Subject: Re: Naming RFC: Properties, property sets, presets
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2020 20:38:11 -0700

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 12:15 AM Urs Liska <lists@openlilylib.org> wrote:
Hi Elaine,

Am Montag, den 13.07.2020, 15:31 -0700 schrieb Flaming Hakama by
Elaine:

The inheritance model is in fact borrowed from CSS.
But while probably 90% of usage will be about appearance the concept
itself is completely not tied to that, so I really don't want to imply
anything like that in the naming. Although I was pleasantly surprised
about "theme".

Property sets might as well define which statistical data from a
compilation to log, or how to construct output names, whether to
include git status info in the file's metadata or filename, whether to
base your composing algorithm on the weather forecast or stock market
data - or actually anything you like.

Therefore I won't follow your suggestion here. Right now I'm pondering
property subsets and property configurations.

BestUrs

Ok, thinking of audio engineering, yes 'preset' is a common enough term.

I guess I also agree with the opinion that, typically in things things like compressors, a preset sets all the options.  In that context, there are out-of-the-box ones the manufacture suggests which you can use as a starting point.  And then you want to be able to recall the state of any custom dialed settings you decide to save as a preset.

I think that allowing more flexibility by allowing partial settings is a great idea.  And it certainly does not prohibit using presets to be a complete definition--just define all the settings and it will do so.

Yet, when used in these partial and cascading circumstances, the overall setting would most logically be considered the 'preset', but the constituent ones might be considered something like preset groups, preset themes, or preset bundles.

A preset group/theme/bundle might be complete preset, or it might not.   In terms of how they function in this suggested usage, there is no need to distinguish between complete and incomplete presets.

But since not every preset group/theme/bundle is complete, it is probably best in the code to use a modified term like presetGroup, presetBundle or presetTheme, and leave the more generic 'preset' for colloquial use of "complete preset".

HTH,

Elaine Alt
415 . 341 .4954                                           "Confusion is highly underrated"
elaine@flaminghakama.com
Producer ~ Composer ~ Instrumentalist ~ Educator