Re: Creating midi file that is not empty

From: Claire Meyer
Subject: Re: Creating midi file that is not empty
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2020 11:49:21 +0200

Thank you everyone, all of you were right. It was not a problem with my midi file, just with what I was reading it with. I was trying to read it with timidity, but I am indeed missing packages / sound fonts, and my midi file is read fine on another computer. Since it was also the first time I was trying to generate a midi file, I ended up thinking it was my code, and not the player. Thank you as well for the people who explained to me how to interpret what timidity prints out in the terminal (I definitely wasn't interpreting it right ^^).

Claire

On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 7:23 AM David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
Claire Meyer <claire.meyer.bourhis.lilypond@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have read the documentation and have gone through the archives of the
> mailing list, and don't understand what I've got wrong. The midi file I
> generate is empty and doesn't contain music.

That's not what I see from your output.

> My .ly file is as follows :
>
> \score {
>      {c''4 c'' c''}
>      \layout {}
>      \midi {\context {
>          \Score tempoWholesPerMinute = #(ly:make-moment 120 4)
>          }
>      }
> }
>
> The terminal doesn't give any errors at compilation, and says that :
>
> Requested buffer size 32768, fragment size 8192
> ALSA pcm 'default' set buffer size 32768, period size 8192 bytes
> Playing pianoClarinetUriTzion.midi
> MIDI file: pianoClarinetUriTzion.midi
> Format: 1  Tracks: 2  Divisions: 384
> Sequence:
> Text: creator:
> Text: GNU LilyPond 2.20.0
> Track name: \new:
> No instrument mapped to tone bank 0, program 0 - this instrument will not
> be heard

Tone bank 0, program 0 is the default piano that every Midi sound font
should provide.  Your Midi playing program likely does not have any
sound font installed that it can access.

> No pre-resampling cache hit
> Last 1 MIDI events are ignored
> Playing time: ~4 seconds
> Notes cut: 0
> Notes lost totally: 0
>
> When I try to read my midi file. Can someone help me ?

I think your Midi file is likely fine.  You just don't have what it
takes to play it.

--
David Kastrup