Re: overriding voiceOne to add properties to that specific voice context

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: overriding voiceOne to add properties to that specific voice context
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 15:42:01 +0200

Hi,

Nevertheless, I'd urge you to try and make sure that everything you
develop will work with current LilyPond versions. Not only in order to
lower the barrier for developers to help you (or others to make use of
your additions), but also because LilyPond simply has evolved a great
deal in the in the nine (!!) years since 2.14.2 was released, and is
now at the same time much more feature-rich _and_ easier to use.
Well, that's not much of a motivation to upgrade existing documents
(unless you want to add to them).  But the typesetting has become quite
a bit better, too.

My understanding was that the issue was not the upgrading of existing documents, but of the codebase used in a newly-developed framework (for Braille support/export). But of course it's also very true that, if I have to go back to an archaic version of LilyPond in order to use a specific framework, I lose not only features and ease-of-use, but also pay the price of an inferior typesetting quality.

Maurits, I think the situation seems to be perfectly suited to a collaborative approach using a git tree, where one person can work on extending a framework, and the other could work in a separate branch on making the codebase usable with recent versions of LilyPond. The latter might be a task that I could try my hands on.

Lukas