Re: Conditional segmentation faults

From: Kevin Barry
Subject: Re: Conditional segmentation faults
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 22:39:52 +0100

Hi David,

That certainly is strange behaviour. A segmentation fault occurs when
a program tries to access a segment of memory that it isn't allowed
to. It's usually the result of memory bugs in the program. If it's a
bug in emacs, which looks possible, then I am not sure what you will
be able to do. Generally speaking, if a program segfaults then that is
always a bug in that program, but it's often the result of invalid
input, so sometimes you can at least narrow down the behaviour that is
triggering it. You could try starting emacs with the "-q" option so
that it doesn't load your init file. Then try running the shell
command from within emacs to see if it still segfaults (ctrl_C ctrl_L
won't work with no init loaded). If it doesn't that might tell you
something. Also check if you have multiple versions of LilyPond
installed - maybe emacs is running a different one? I'm sorry I can't
be of more help.

Kevin