Re: macro for \once\override

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: macro for \once\override
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2020 05:32:07 -0700

On 2020-08-28 9:45 pm, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
No.  I'm against it.  Introducing abbreviations into examples is a
slippery slope and sets a bad precedent.  In my scores I use \t for
\tuplet, but I would never inflict that on any public example, even
to save space.  Wrapped lines are not a visual or semantic issue to
me at least.  Please don't do this.

Sigh.  I must admit that I don't understand this purism, which I
almost consider as l'art pour l'art.

Attached are the current version, my suggestion using an
abbreviation, and an alternative that uses wrapping only.

Of the new ones, which one do you consider more readable?

Why repeat \once that many times? Just wrap up all the overrides together and \once it once:

%%%%
\once \override FretBoard.size = #'1.0
\once \override FretBoard.fret-diagram-details.barre-type = #'straight
\once \override FretBoard.fret-diagram-details.dot-color = #'black
\once \override FretBoard.fret-diagram-details.finger-code = #'below-string
%% ...becomes...
\once {
  \override FretBoard.size = #'1.0
  \override FretBoard.fret-diagram-details.barre-type = #'straight
  \override FretBoard.fret-diagram-details.dot-color = #'black
  \override FretBoard.fret-diagram-details.finger-code = #'below-string
}
%%%%

-- Aaron Hill