Shorthand for "once override"?

From: Alasdair McAndrew
Subject: Shorthand for "once override"?
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2020 15:59:59 +1000

In my attempt to typeset some early 18th century French music for viola da gamba, I'm trying to keep to the original notation as closely as possible.  Thus I'm using a breath mark to indicate a trill, and a sans-serif x for a mordent.  So for example, I have

mx = \markup {\teeny \sans x}

But to put this symbol next to its note (where it belongs), I have to write something like

 \once \override TextScript #'extra-offset = #'(1.5 . -1.5) f4.^\mx

to ensure it goes in the right place.  Is there any way of simplifying this?  Ideally, it'd be nice to be able to write something like

f4.^{\mx 1.5 -1.5}

and leave all the once override stuff out of the score itself.  Or is there another way of placing a symbol where I want it?

Thanks,
Alasdair