[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: upgrading a songbook from 2.14 to 2.18

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: upgrading a songbook from 2.14 to 2.18
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2020 21:15:08 +0200
User-agent: Gnus/5.13 (Gnus v5.13) Emacs/28.0.50 (gnu/linux)

David Kastrup <> writes:

> Maurits Lamers <> writes:
>> Hi,
>>> convert-ly does text replacements.  It is not a full parser.  If text
>>> replacements are supposed to work, you need to write your text in a way
>>> that the replacement patterns cover.  Stuff like putting # on one line
>>> and a corresponding opening paren on the next line are just too weird
>>> for those writing the conversion rules to have foreseen.
>>> So first try formatting your source in a somewhat common manner and then
>>> try running convert-ly.
>> I did notice this way of indenting though and changed it before
>> running Lilypond, but I didn't anticipate that convert-ly would also
>> check for scheme code patterns.
> It doesn't "check" for style.  It catches some patterns and converts
> them and overlooks others.
> The 2.14 to 2.16 upgrade overhauled # syntax significantly, changed the
> meaning of $ for LilyPond, changed the meaning of $ in embedded Scheme
> inside of #{ #}, replaced #(ly:export ...) with $... and a few other
> comparatively invasive things, all using regular expressions.

Start and end of sentence don't fit together.  The "all using regular
expressions" concerns how convert-ly upgrades source files.  The
invasive changes, of course, were to LilyPond itself.  Sorry for losing
my own context here.

> It did a pretty good job on LilyPond's own code base formatted in
> LilyPond's own style, but things like #<some whitespace> or
> #(<some whitespace> are so unusual that they have not made it into the
> patterns.

David Kastrup

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]