Inserting a "hard" white space?

From: Alasdair McAndrew
Subject: Inserting a "hard" white space?
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 12:27:18 +1000

Hello,

I have created a few _expression_ marks (for some early 18th century music I'm trying to typeset) which I put into place with carefully adjusted x and y offsets.  The trouble is that Lilypond doesn't take these marks into account when spacing out notes and bars, and sometimes the _expression_ mark is written over by a bar line.

All I want is some way of adding some extra space after a bar line.  Something like

    | " "

would be lovely if it worked, which of course it doesn't.  I know that "s" adds a blank note; what I'm after is like a blank note that also has zero duration!

What is the approved or simplest way of adding extra space after a bar line?  Note that I don't need to add extra space after every bar line, just occasionally.

Thank you!