Re: Future of openLilyLib

From: Karsten Reincke
Subject: Re: Future of openLilyLib
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 23:59:48 +0200

Dear Urs;

I gratefully appreciate your work on LilyPond. Because of your friendly and affectionate way of sharing your knowledge in this mailing list - as I was allowed to experience it in the past - I also want to believe that OpenLilylib is valuable. Personally, I refrained from familiarizing myself with it. The reason was not, that I indeed could not quickly activate a 'Hello-World' "song". Even higher entry thresholds usually do not prevent me from diving into special areas of programming. The reason I ended up putting OpenLilyLib aside was its license model.

OpenLilyLib is licensed under the GPL. Thus, the copyleft effect forces that all Lilypond files which include OpenLilyLib files, have also to be distributed under the terms of the GPL. Moreover, due to the fact, that Lilypond is the source code, which will be compiled (into scores), one also has to respect the GPL rules of distributing compiled versions of the code.

We had this discussion a year ago and I won't repeat the details. The last time it ended in a kind of unfruitful shitstorm which did not help anyone. But if you now look for supporters, you have to see that your license model reduces the list of candidates: They must be familiar with music, they must love beautifully designed musical text, they must be able to program scheme (LISP) code (in fact not the most widely used programming language) and they must be willing to require the others to distribute their music under the terms of the GPL.

Nearly all other GPL licensed programming libs/programs had the same problem and found solutions. Linus invented the "explicit syscall exception" for his kernel, openjdk was released under the "GPL with classpath exception". That is why I would like to propose again to re-license the OpenLilyLib under the terms of the LGPL. Or, if that is not possible, to link the lib with a kind of an "include exception" with the purpose, to explicitly prevent the including musical scores  from also having to be released under the terms of the GPL.

I think that such a clarification would invite collaborators. At least I would definitely consider, to transfer my harmoni.ly into OpenLilyLib - as soon as such a re-licensing has reliably been implemented (= agreed by all copyright holders) .

with best regards and  - again - many thanks for your work in the past

Karsten