Re: organ - off topic

From: J Martin Rushton
Subject: Re: organ - off topic
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2020 10:20:47 +0100

A sustain pedal wouldn't be possible, since an organ has no dampers. An organ pipe sounds just as long as the key and stop send air to it. A sostenuto mechanism might be possible, though personally I've never heard of one, by simply keeping the key or part of the linkage depressed. Your question is interesting though, since it appears you are looking at the wrong end of the telescope! sostenuto was developed to allow the piano to emulate the organ. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_pedals#Sostenuto_pedal et seq. for more info.

Regards,
Martin