feature requests: scalable \shape values; (stem) for \shapeII

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: feature requests: scalable \shape values; (stem) for \shapeII
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2020 18:44:51 +0200

Now that we’ve been talking about \shape and \shapeII, I would like to ask if it’s possible that values put for \shape(II) could scale according to staff size. Whenever I have a smaller staff, whatever values work for a 20 points staff are too much for smaller staves (either with a smaller font size or with \magnify). It would be great, from a user perspective, that a (0 . 1) value would produce a similar/proportional result no matter the size of the staff, instead of being always in a different “scale” every time you have different staff sizes (so that you have to put smaller values for smaller staves). That would also be useful if you decide later to increase or decrease the font size used. For \shapeII it would mean that the (head) attachment would work (instead of making a mess of the score) when for example there are different staff sizes in the same score (as in piano scores) —this is however my speculation.

My second feature request is for \shapeII. I find it great to have a (head) attachment value instead of having to manually calculate how much of an offset it would take to bring the slur closer to the head. Consequently, it would be nice if you could do the same with (stem) for cases when you have a slur that begins/ends above a stem/beam.

Best regards,
Martín.

Hello,

I believe the first feature request you formulate is actually a bug, because it does work with set-global-staff-size, but not layout-set-staff-size or \magnifyStaff.

I opened https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/6054.

Best,
Jean