Re: Multi-measure rest compression and rehearsal marks

From: Adam M. Griggs
Subject: Re: Multi-measure rest compression and rehearsal marks
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 18:47:05 +0900

Did the trick, thank you very much!

On Mon, 19 Oct 2020, 16:13 Aaron Hill, <lilypond@hillvisions.com> wrote:
On 2020-10-19 12:00 am, Adam Griggs wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> This has me stumped. I've been digging for hours.
>
>    \version "2.21.7"
>
>    global = {
>         \skip 1*24
>         \mark \default
>         \skip 1*12
>         \mark \default
>         \skip 1*12
>    }
>
>    music = \relative c'' {
>         \compressMMRests
>         R1*48
>    }
>
>    \new Staff << \global \music >>
>

> Why does multi-measure rest compression fail after the first rehearsal
> mark?

That seems like a bug or just a limitation of functionality.  I suspect
the logic for \compressMMRests tries to compress the R1*48 as much as it
can but does not split it into multiple such rests.

> I also tried:
>
>    music = \relative c'' {
>         \compressMMRests
>         R1*24
>         R1*12
>         R1*12
>    }
>
> No go.

\compressMMRests is a function that operates on music that follows.
Your usage above only applies to the R1*24.

The solution is to use the function at a more top-level scope.

%%%%
\version "2.20.0"

global = {
   \skip 1*24