Re: LilyPond learning curve (was: feasibilty question: simple GUI for we

From: Marc Shepherd
Subject: Re: LilyPond learning curve (was: feasibilty question: simple GUI for web-based Lilypond instance)
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2020 10:58:19 -0400

I tried LP several years ago and quickly gave up. I decided to try it again because I was frustrated with all of the manual adjustments my Finale scores require, and wanted to see if LP could do better.

LP is indeed better — in that its default decisions are almost always better than Finale’s default. The price you pay is that an LP score is considerably more time-consuming to enter. Although I expect to get better at it over time, I don’t think that disadvantage can ever go away entirely.

I was trained as a software engineer. I later went into a different field, but I haven’t forgotten the concepts — and I feel like I need them. LP resembles coding in a lot of ways. Some of its behavior is reasonably obvious, but much of it is very hard and non-obvious.

By the way, I am typesetting an opera score, which is clearly not the easiest place to start—but that is what I do. I am guessing that whoever designed LP was not thinking of orchestral scores, as some things that ought to be easy (the “MarkLine” concept) are in fact quite difficult.