Questions From a New User

From: Jenny Suchan
Subject: Questions From a New User
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 21:25:30 -0400

Hello everyone,

My name is Jenny Suchan, and I just joined this list yesterday. I am a totally blind musician seriously pursuing a career in music composition. After looking into several different score-writing software, I am now studying LilyPond to see how I could use it to produce music scores. My friend Damien, another totally blind musician who I have been working with and who made me aware of this software, is copied on this message.

We have been making our way through the Learning Manual and are struggling with the concepts underlying the construction of chords, multiple parts, and multiple voices. For example, it isn't clear to us how information within less-than and greater-than signs and that within brackets relate to each other. Also, the manual states that tied notes share the same pitch, so how can two chords be tied together if only one note is sustained between them? Any additional tutorials or one-on-one help that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Also, is there a way-or a potential way-that LilyPond code can be converted to MusicXML? It would be very helpful for me to be able to translate my scores into Braille music, and we both could benefit from audio feedback regarding our scores.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer our questions. This whole process of learning new software and determining how all the component parts fit together is quite daunting.

          All the best,

          Jenny