Controlling bar to note spacing on final measure

From: Matthew Fong
Subject: Controlling bar to note spacing on final measure
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2020 07:49:04 -0800

Hello everyone,

Would there be a programmatic way to control the spacing of the final bar to the final note? At the moment, I just use s4 or s4. just to add a tiny bit of space so it doesn't feel as cramped. I do have the following override enabled to compact the spacing of the notes for chant, which really does make a difference in that final bar

\override SpacingSpanner.common-shortest-duration = #(ly:make-moment 1/4)

I am using \time 1/4.

I dug around the engraver documentation and found this, but it deals with breaks.
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/source/Documentation/internals/barline

Many thanks,
mattfong