Re: Stanza Collision

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Stanza Collision
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2020 15:20:11 -0500

Hi there,

> It tightens the spacing between notes which are inside a slur so that the
> musical sense is clear without the usual bow (though, it’s a separate setting
> to actually omit the bow).  Attached are two versions of the same antiphon:
> the first uses the usual bow for slurs, the second uses the
> Slur_spacing_engraver instead.  Both are compiled from the same source
> (except for consisting the Slur_spacing_engraver and "\omit”ing the bow).
>
> I’m deliberately avoiding the suggestion in the manual on using a fixed time
> and tuplets because I feel that construction makes the source for the notes
> really difficult to enter and read because of all the interspersed durations
> (and the calculations necessary to figure them out).  By using the
> Slur_spacing_engraver I eliminate the need to worry about the durations at
> all and simply slur notes that belong to the same syllable  (which is normal
> practice anyway).

I think an engraver like that is the right approach. The last piece of the
solution, as I see it, is to take the syllable attached to the [first note of
the] slur/melisma, add the "*" with some padding to the left, then reset the
X-offset or self-alignment-X so that the syllable stays in the correct position
relative to the note.

Making this happen is currently above my Scheme pay grade, and I don’t have the
time right now to put into it… but maybe Aaron can add that on to his solution
without much trouble?

Apologies!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)