Re: Repeats with bar-engraver removed

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: Repeats with bar-engraver removed
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2021 12:29:06 -0500

    >> What I do is make the barlines transparent and with 0 width:
    >> \override Staff.BarLine #'transparent = ##t
    >> \override Staff.BarLine #'extra-spacing-width = #'(0 . 0)

    Kieren> Why not

    Kieren>   \omit BarLine

    Kieren> ??

    Kieren> Curious,

The short answer is because I didn't know about \omit.

The longer answer is that what I do now is a direct descendant of what I
figured out to do back in 1996 or so.  At that time, the options were
very different from what they are now.  And there was a lot less
support/documentation for how to write music without barlines.

--
Laura   (mailto:lconrad@laymusic.org)
(617) 661-8097  233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who
make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the
mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the
spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

St. Augustine, De Genesi ad Litteram, Book II, xviii, 37