Re: Custom music notation?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Custom music notation?
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2021 00:24:29 +0100

Pashkuli Keyboard <pashkuli.keyboard@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi, Silvain
> All that was a good story but it does not relate to answer the necessity to
> designate scale steps (degrees) or notenames (in this case accidentals)
> with constant reference to major scale.
>
> I am sure that those African and Asian and Polynesian had little (if any)
> knowledge or use of a... piano. I think you would agree that 5 tone
> (pentatonic) music existed for millennia before piano or harpsichord was
> even an idea. So the arrangement of the keys on a piano is irrelevant in
> this case. Also the reference to the major scale.
>
> And if we look more openly (out of the box, so to speak) there is nothing
> that would make the harmonic minor more or less 'true' or 'identifiable'
> had we written its scale formula as:
> 1·2·b3·4·5·b6·7
> or
> 0·2·3·5·7·8·11

At any rate it may be sensible to keep your objective on this mailing
list in mind, which is getting help with your notation project rather
than making converts.  For that purpose, it may make more sense to
convince your readers that they are helpful and smart rather than
convince them that they are wrong.

--
David Kastrup