Re: Repeated durations: pitches vs rests

From: antlists
Subject: Re: Repeated durations: pitches vs rests
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 08:05:33 +0000

On 22/02/2021 06:02, Andrew Bernard wrote:
Its not a bug. It's just the syntax. A 16 without a note will produce a note, not a rest, even after a rest. There would be a dozen different possibilities for syntax, but that's how it is.

Principle of least surprise. As a player, a rest is a note without sound, as a programmer I think it should go back to whatever was most recently made explicit (ie the rest).

Is it that hard to make the computer program emit an r for a rest? People don't normally put ties on rests - does not quite make sense, as a ties means hold the note and don't articulate, whereas silence cant be articulated anýway.

How easy is it to make the program just not take advantage of this shortcut? Just emit the note every time. I've been using lilypond for over 15 years and I think this is a pretty recent addition.

Andrew

Cheers,
Wol