Re: Aligning lyric syllables to notes within beams and slurs?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Aligning lyric syllables to notes within beams and slurs?
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2021 23:58:38 +0000

From: lilypond-user <lilypond-user-bounces+carl.d.sorensen=gmail.com@gnu.org> on behalf of John Helly <hellyj@ucsd.edu>
Date: Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 4:29 PM
To: "lilypond-user@gnu.org" <lilypond-user@gnu.org>
Cc: "hellyj@ucsd.edu" <hellyj@ucsd.edu>

Aloha.

I'm working on transcribing the sheet music for Wooden Ships (Crosby, Stills, Kantner) into LP as a learning exercise for myself.  I'm self-taught in reading music so pls forgive blunders (but also pls point them out).

I'm having trouble aligning the lyrics with the beaming structure of the published sheet music.  The only method that seems to allow me to get the desired alignment is to connect the syllables with underscores and that seems like a big kluge.

Maybe I'm missing some option to allow lyrics to align with beamed and slurred notes within a beam and/or slur?

My understanding is that the default behavior is to align syllables on the first note of the beam rather than on the notes within a beam.  Not sure if that's correct.

This is covered quite well (in my opinion) in the Notation Reference.

https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.22/Documentation/notation/common-notation-for-vocal-music#multiple-notes-to-one-syllable

Try this, and let us know if you don’t understand this.

Also, it’s always helpful if you attach a short example to your help requests.  Then we can give you specific help.

https://lilypond.org/tiny-examples.html

I hope this will help you.

Thanks,

Carl