Re: MIDI input [was Re: Nested transposition]

From: Silvain Dupertuis
Subject: Re: MIDI input [was Re: Nested transposition]
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 21:16:14 +0100

Hello everyone,

As I do not have any midi keyboard,
I have programmed for myself a web-piano-keyboard-entry (HTML-CSS-_javascript_).
I use regularly for Lilypond - it combined different syntax, does Lylipond in relative mode.
Actually, if was to be used for other systems also.

You can find the file there, download and open in any browser.
The comments are in French, but I can easily make an English version if it is useful for anyone.
You have to choose/confirm the type of syntax and the key and then click on notes and duration on the keyboard and duration symbols...

Of course, you get one voice only, but it is easier that writing the names of notes...

And again, I did not have any problem using \relative x y { ... } syntax...

Hope it can be useful.
Silvain

Le 14.03.21 à 16:53, Ralph Palmer a écrit :
On Sat, Mar 13, 2021 at 9:14 PM Kieren MacMillan <kieren_macmillan@sympatico.ca> wrote:
Hi Carl!

>> My music entry is done 99% by MIDI input, so I type almost no commas or apostrophes.
> Can you tell me how you do your MIDI input?  I'd like to do that, but I don't have a good workflow for it.

1. I use Frescobaldi.

Wow. I missed this somehow. I can see why you use absolute values exclusively, Kieren. I'm almost exclusively transcribing and transposing fiddle tunes. I do a lot of entry from sheet music, and do a lot of proofreading, then transposing. Not terribly complicated, but valuable to me. Relative entry works much better for me than absolute entry. I can input the tune in treble clef, proofread it, and transpose to alto clef with fewer than 10 keystrokes.

All the best,

Ralph

--
Ralph Palmer