Re: Three-note tremolo in 4/4

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Three-note tremolo in 4/4
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 18:21:47 +0000

From: lilypond-user <lilypond-user-bounces+carl.d.sorensen=gmail.com@gnu.org> on behalf of "Dijkhuizen, J.F. van" <J.van.Dijkhuizen@hum.leidenuniv.nl>
Date: Tuesday, March 16, 2021 at 10:26 AM
To: "lilypond-user@gnu.org" <lilypond-user@gnu.org>
Subject: Three-note tremolo in 4/4

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to fit a three-note tremolo into a 4/4 measure.  I've sort of been able to do this as follows:

\version "2.22.0"

\relative c''

{

\repeat tremolo 8 {\tuplet 3/4 { g32 d c }}

}

(Of course you could hide the tuplet numbers here.)

or:

\version "2.22.0"

\relative c''

\new Staff = "Example" {

\time 4/4

\set Staff.timeSignatureFraction = 3/4

\scaleDurations 4/3 { \repeat tremolo 8 { g32 d c } }

While both look more or less OK, the notes appear as dotted half notes, rather than as whole notes. They should be whole notes, since the tremolo lasts the entire measure but I can't figure out how to do this.

Does anybody know of a way to create a 3-note tremolo in 4/4 time in which all three notes appear as whole notes?

It appears that this cannot be done with \repeat tremolo.  I’m a little bit surprised that your code worked.  Note the following from the Notation Reference:

The \repeat tremolo syntax expects exactly two notes within the braces

This could probably be hacked (anything can be in LilyPond).  It looks like you would need to modify the properties of tremolo-repeated-music.  http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.22/Documentation/internals/tremolorepeatedmusic

I have no experience working with this type of music, so I can’t give you any pointers beyond this.

Carl