Re: multi-mark-engraver not working when outside-staff-priority set to f

From: Peter Crighton
Subject: Re: multi-mark-engraver not working when outside-staff-priority set to false
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2021 22:06:00 +0100

On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 at 21:11, Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:

Le 24/03/2021 à 20:06, Peter Crighton a écrit :

On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 at 18:35, Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:
Le 24/03/2021 à 15:15, Peter Crighton a écrit :
> I am working on some chord charts, sheet music that only includes one
> ChordNames context. See the reduced example below.
>
> I am now running into a problem when using the multi-mark-engraver
> (https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2011-08/msg00157.html
> <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2011-08/msg00157.html>)
> in order to have multiple rehearsal marks at the same time. As I in my
> template use \override RehearsalMark.outside-staff-priority = ##f to
> have all marks appear at the same vertical level (relative to the
> chord symbols) and the multi-mark-engraver also in some way works with
> outside-staff-priority, using the two together results in the error
> Wrong type argument in position 1: #f.
> Any ideas on how to get this working together? A change to the
> multi-mark-engraver I could apply? A good alternative to
> multi-mark-engraver? Another way to vertically level rehearsal marks
> other than through disabling outside-staff-priority?

If you want marks aligned on the same level exactly, why not put them in
the same markup altogether?

\mark \markup { \bold A some more text }

Then you don't need the multi-mark-engraver.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. The alignment to the same level is in order to get them aligned to the chord symbols. If I have several marks at the same time, they might very well be not level. I’ll need them as separate marks to be able to process them separately. There might be situations like one mark appearing before and one after a line break(, but at the same point in time in the code).

Okay. Here is a version of the engraver that caters for this case. I've also cleaned it up somewhat.

Let me know if you encounter any issues with it.

Thank you. It fixes the error, so the score at least compiles again. But it sadly also renders my use of \override RehearsalMark.outside-staff-priority = ##f useless. (Compare in my original example the output with that line commented in and out.)

--
Peter Crighton | Musician & Music Engraver based in Mainz, Germany
http://www.petercrighton.de