Re: AW: Custom Format

From: Callum Cassidy-Nolan
Subject: Re: AW: Custom Format
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2021 19:20:42 +0000

Hi Torsten,

You are correct, there is no distinction between these two notes, because in terms of pitch they are the same. I realize that my approach to music is non-standard, and when I made it I was not thinking about how that would play into formatting documents with it.  I follow the same idea for intervals too.

I suppose you are asking me these questions because lilypad does differentiate between these different ways of saying the same note or interval? Could you give me some use cases where my notation would cause problems - I'd like to know for the future.

Personally I don't mind which it chooses, say D# or Eb, based on Aarons original function:

#(define (: n)
   (apply
    ly:make-pitch
    (cons (1- (floor (/ n 12)))
          (list-ref `((0 0) (0 ,SHARP) (1 0) (1 ,SHARP)
                      (2 0) (3 0) (3 ,SHARP) (4 0)
                      (4 ,SHARP) (5 0) (5 ,SHARP) (6 0))
                    (modulo n 12)))))

But having a way to over-ride it's value to be one or the other would be nice. As I am new to Scheme I don't know exactly how to do it, but my idea would be to have the following behavior.

Always choose the sharp version unless an optional argument is provided to the function which tells it to choose the flattened version. If someone could outline how I could implement that with Scheme, it would be awesome.

Best,
Callum