Re: Time bracket notation for very large scale compositions

From: Shane Brandes
Subject: Re: Time bracket notation for very large scale compositions
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2021 14:18:53 -0400

Greetings Andrew Culver,

You have posted a pretty broad swathe of questions to the LilyPond Community. I suspect people will likely give a few responses. My personal use case is limited in comparison to things you might be undertaking. The Thalberg piano concerto is the largest thing I ever have typeset with Lilypond, and it ate that for breakfast. I would not describe myself as a power user and therefore don't have answers to many of the questions. However, to this point I have never seen someone show up on the list and find out something can't be done. It might take the extensibility provided by the magic of Scheme, which is a programming language, used to extend lilyponds abilities. As far as future proofing, Lilypond has an automated code updating program, which does very well with making sure the old code is compliant with the current version's standards. The only time that might break is if something very kludgy was done. Personally, I have only broken something once, but that was because many years ago I was using something absolutely not in the way it was intended to achieve some end. In terms of fussiness of laying out objects in a correct way, Lilypond does these things out of the box in a way that other programs I have used just don't approach. So for a very great percentage of things tweaking items (manually moving) is not necessary. And there are ways for working around tweaking bits of code without having to compile a whole vast document. So in any event, it is likely LilyPond is an excellent candidate for your needs, unfortunately I can't give all the answers, and really am looking forward to whatever discussion your missive generates. It is always interesting to learn what this program is capable of.

kind regards,
Shane Brandes