Re: A work-in-progress guide to extending LilyPond

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: A work-in-progress guide to extending LilyPond
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2021 15:43:32 +0200

Am Sa., 10. Apr. 2021 um 13:10 Uhr schrieb Thomas Morley
<thomasmorley65@gmail.com>:

> Am Mo., 5. Apr. 2021 um 21:38 Uhr schrieb Jean Abou Samra
> <jean@abou-samra.fr>:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > A frequent complaint on this list is the lack
> > of available documentation about LilyPond's
> > inner workings and programming interfaces.
> >
> > Indeed, I have myself experienced the thorny
> > path to getting a grasp of how to extend
> > LilyPond in Scheme.
> >
> > To remedy this, pushed by Jacques, I wrote
> > up the start of something that could someday
> > resemble an introduction to extending and a
> > guide covering programming topics. It is a
> > work-in-progress and pretty incomplete at the
> > moment. Nevertheless, it contains some unique
> > material, like the explanations about Scheme
> > engravers (totally undocumented).
> >
> > On the long-term, this might make its way into
> > the official documentation in an adapted form.
> >
> > It's here:
> >
> > https://extending-lilypond.readthedocs.io/
> >
> > I'll be glad if this is useful to someone.
> >
> > I would also appreciate any comments you
> > might have.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Jean
> >

> Hi Jean,
>
> this is great work. I'd wish it would have been available years ago.
> at the time I undertook exploring said "thorny path".
> It should become part of the official docs!
>
> That said, I had a closer look through it.
> My remarks attached.
>

> Best,
>   Harm

Hi again,

I cloned the repo, but I've no clue how to get it compiled.
First I had to install missing sphinx-stuff, then I tried
make html
and got:
$ make html
Running Sphinx v1.8.5
Adding copy buttons to code blocks...
building [mo]: targets for 0 po files that are out of date
building [html]: targets for 7 source files that are out of date
updating environment: 7 added, 0 changed, 0 removed
reading sources... [100%] translation

Sphinx error:
master file /home/hermann/extending-lilypond/contents.rst not found
make: *** [Makefile:20: html] Error 2

Any hint?

Cheers,
  Harm