Re: Chromatic clashes

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Chromatic clashes
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2021 08:13:37 +0200

Hi,

Le 16/04/2021 à 23:13, Lukas-Fabian Moser a écrit :

Folks,

while the following musical constellation is ugly in the first place, I think we can agree that LilyPond's rendering is less than ideal:

\version "2.22.0"

{ <c' cis'> 4 }

yielding

[image]

If we force an accidental to c, we get something that might have a slightly higher probability of being interpreted as intended:

\version "2.22.0"

{ <c'! cis'> 4 }

[image]

My questions are:

(1) Do you folks agree that the default behaviour qualifies as a bug?

Indeed. There is also an ugly-looking dependence on the input order:

{ <cis' ces'> cis' }
{ <ces' cis'> cis' }

We should probably have a special case when there are several accidentals in the same staff position. I suggest to open an issue on GitLab.

(2) Is there an easy way to force LilyPond to add the additional natural sign automatically?

(Of course I know that in manually entered scores, one would simply add one ! and be done with it; but that is more difficult in my context, where I'm working with algorithmically generated chords.)

For what it's worth, I think I found a not-quite-easy way for (2), which I'm happy to share of course (see below), but I am doubtful that this is the most elegant solution...

At any rate, that's pretty much how I'd do it personally.

Best,
Jean