Re: Lyrics and Repeats

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Lyrics and Repeats
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 13:31:34 -0500

On Sat 15 May 2021 at 16:03:54 (+0200), Kaj Persson wrote:

> In the Notation manual is described how to manage Lyrics in Repeat
> conditions. It shows examples the Repeat section following an initial
> part of music. There are also examples when the Repeat starts the
> piece and then followed by more music. But if you are searching the
> combination of these two you search in vain. This was really what I
> wanted, an initial part before the Repeat then a couple of
> alternatives and an ending part outside of the repeat and
> alternatives. Well I understand the author of the manual who left this
> case aside, because the solution I succeeded to find does not agree
> with the normal rules described in the manual. The rule with repeated
> { \skip 1 } was changed. Instead of counting individual tones, you now
> has to define whole measures. If you do not, the text is gliding away,
> possibly of the score, it vanishes and you cannot find it! I suppose
> this is a bug that ought to be corrected.
>
> Another observation is that \lyricsto adds an extra space at the start
> in the case that you define an new lyric at the beginning of the
> \repeat. So the '\new Lyric \lyricsto "melody" { ' is NOT equivalent
> with '\new Lyric { \set associatedVoice = "melody" '. This too ought
> to be a bug.
>
> To find this took of course a quite lot of time, and I am still not
> shure I have catched the full truth. In the following examlple I have
> used variables for the lyrics, just to test that it work, and it does.
> The interested can also test removing the "% " before the \lyricsto to
> see the consequence.
>
> I am running LilyPond version 2.21.0 via Frescobaldi. Appended an
> image of the Music example.

Perhaps you should look back at this post from last week:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2021-05/msg00038.html
You have to choose one method or the other, not a sort of mixture.

BTW your lyrics have no durations, fair enough with method 1, but then
the same will be true for \skips. Syntactically, however, they must have
a numeric suffix, whose value is ignored. (ยง Invisible rests, p62 NR 2.22.0)

Cheers,
David.