Handling transpositions gracefully

From: Mark Probert
Subject: Handling transpositions gracefully
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 10:43:06 +1000

Hi.

I'm not quite sure how to ask this, so please bear with me. Right now
I'm having fun doing jazz lead sheets (for which lilypond is a
fantastic tool--lilyjazz is fantastic! thank you!). What I find I'm
doing is creating a "concert" version, then making a bes version, then
a ees version (I play alto sax and cornet). Basically all the same
source except with a \transpose wrapper around the score.

Is there a recommended way of having a single source and then
triggering the multiple variant outputs? Or do I simply put the stuff
that remains constant an include and have three separate shells for the
different tranpositions?

Any thoughts? (I imagine this is a solved problem...)

Thanks
 ..mark.