Re: slur over break

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: slur over break
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 20:07:35 +0200

Hello,

It looks like an instance of issue 1411.
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/1411

Mike Solomon fixed a lot of cross-staff issues in the past but the ones with slurs seem to remain open.
Maybe someone could build on Mike's work on cross-staff beam collisions to solve cross-staff collisions with slurs.
I do not know a nice workaround for you though, sorry.

On Wed, 26 May 2021 at 19:22, Molly Preston <mollyprestonre@gmail.com> wrote:

> \version "2.20.0"
>

> \score { <<
>
>   \new Staff {
>     \new Voice
>     dis'2. cis'4 ~
>     cis'4 e'4 dis'2
>   }
>   \addlyrics {leop -- ard crys -- tal}
> <<
>   \new PianoStaff
>   \new Staff = "upper"
>   {
>    \shape #'((0 . 0.5) (0 . 0.5) (0 . 0.5) (0 . 5)) PhrasingSlur
>     d'8 \(
>    \change Staff = "lower"
>
>     \change Staff = "upper"
>     d'' '
>     \change Staff = "lower"
>     \change Staff = "upper"
>     d''8
>    \change Staff = "lower"
>
>     \change Staff = "upper"
>     d''
>     \change Staff = "lower"
>     \break
>     \change Staff = "upper"
>
>     d''8
>    \change Staff = "lower"
>
>     \change Staff = "upper"
>     d'''
>     \change Staff = "lower"
>     \change Staff = "upper"
>     d''8
>    \change Staff = "lower"
>
>     \change Staff = "upper"
>     d''
>     \change Staff = "lower"
>     \change Staff = "upper"
>     <d'd''>2\) r2
>
>   }
>   \new Staff = "lower" {
>     \clef bass
>     s1*3
>   }
>
>   >>
>
>          >> }
>
> This might be the closest I can get to a tiny example right now. It isn't exactly doing what it's doing in my score. In my score there is more space between the voice and piano. Where it says crystal in this example is where the slur is colliding with the lyrics in my score. The accompaniment is chords, the melody is approximately correct.
>
> I used \shape in this example to move the end of the slur up a bit at the end of the first measure, but I don't think it changes the rest of the slur after the break. I am wondering why this is? And how to correct it?
>
> I guess I'm looking for any advice on how you prefer to tweak your slurs. How do you all do it? What's easiest for you and why?
>
> I really prefer using lilypond, but my teacher may actually make me get Sibelius when he sees all these slur mishaps lol. I've used lilypond for years because I loathed Finale. I just still have a lot to learn and understand.
>
> -Molly

Cheers,
Xavier

--